SQP Code of Practice and Guidance for RAMAs (SQPs)
The DEFRA SQP Code of Practice is issued by the Secretary of State under the Veterinary Medicines Regulations. It sets down the standards that must be complied with by AMTRA, by RAMAs who are registered with AMTRA having passed the required examinations and who may therefore supply veterinary medicinal products classified as POM-VPS and NFA-VPS, and by retail businesses with premises that are registered to be able to hold and supply veterinary medicinal products.
All RAMAs are required to abide by the current version of the Code of Practice, to abide by the Veterinary Medicines Regulations taking account of VMD's Veterinary Medicines Guidance Notes, and to act in a professional manner.
More information on complaints procedures...
SQP Code of Practice
The current SQP Code of Practice that AMTRA RAMAs must follow is that dated April 2017. AMTRA RAMA assessments are always based upon the Code of Practice currently in force.
The full text of the Code is available as a PDF file:
- SQP Code of Practice (April 2017) (also in the front of the AMTRA RAMA Compendium)
See also the inspection criteria, below, that were formerly published as part of the Code.
In addition to abiding by the terms of the Code of Practice, RAMAs should follow the VMD's guidance, notably that offered on Retail of veterinary medicines (December 2018) - also in the front of the AMTRA RAMA Compendium.
Other guidance notes may also be of relevance and should be studied - see the full VMD list on the gov.uk website.
- Inspection Criteria for SQP Retailers' Premises (September 2017) - also in the AMTRA RAMA Compendium
- Inspection Criteria for Veterinary Practice Premises (September 2017)
Guidance on responsible use of medicines
- Control of Cattle Parasites Sustainably (COWS) - including technical manual for vets and advisors including RAMAs
- Sustainable Control Of Parasites in Sheep (SCOPS) guidance
- Responsible Use of Medicines in Agriculture Alliance (RUMA) guidelines on antiparasitics, vaccines and antimicrobials
Pharmacovigilance (adverse events)
- AMTRA pharmacovigilance reporting questionnaire/form
- SCOPS/AMTRA Protocol Following Suspected Lack of Efficacy to an Endectocide
- Report direct to VMD